The POLST: Frequently Asked Questions Answered

 Who can help me complete the POLST form?

Social workers, nurses and other healthcare professionals can complete the POLST form with you, but it MUST be reviewed and signed by a doctor. You or your healthcare representative, your healthcare agent or surrogate must also sign the form.

 Will having a POLST form cause any problems for my family or my doctor?

Not at all. In fact, the POLST form helps you, your family and your doctor. The form shares your treatment wishes with your caregivers and helps keep you comfortable.

 If I have a POLST form, do I need an Advance Directive too?

Yes, it is recommended that you also have an Advance Healthcare Directive (AHCD). The POLST form reinforces the wishes that you express in your AHCD. The POLST form presents those wishes in an easy to understand way.

  • The AHCD is written instructions stating how you want future medical decisions made, in the event that you become unable to make or to communicate those decisions for yourself.
  •  The AHCD states who you want to make healthcare decisions for you if you are unable to make them for yourself.

 What if I want to change something on my POLST form?

The POLST orders can be changed by you and your doctor at any time.

 What if I have more questions or concerns?

We encourage you to talk with your doctor and your healthcare team about your illness and your treatment choices. The POLST form and this information can help guide discussions with your healthcare team.

Categories: Memory Care

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: